TV was a big deal for me at my house when I was growing up. I watched every single show that caught my fancy from Full House to Fresh Prince of Bel-Air. Growing up as a kid during the ’90s, we arguably had the best shows to watch. As I got older and shows started getting less and less appealing for me to watch, I’ve gotten pickier about my viewing habits. I don’t watch a ton of TV anymore and I barely have time to watch the ones I do watch.
Watch us record episode 28 of Game Sammich LIVE at 6:30pm PST below. If you’d like to chat live with us while we record, head over here, or connect directly via irc to irc.mibbit.net, in the #GameSammich channel.
**ATTENTION** 8/3/13 8:15 EST – We had to postpone tonight’s show, some last minute stuff came up. Hazards of being live 😦 More details to come on when we’ll do-over.
**UPDATE** 8/6/2013 7:55 EST – Show’s officially been moved to Monday nights 6:30pm PST effective immediately. Episode 28 Do-over will happen on Aug 12th.
Slacker Bert is back. The end. Just kidding he still has to work on his IRL player housing.
Twitter rage results in Fez 2 cancellation side note: They’re still doing other things like porting Fez to the Ouya! You can now buy an NVIDIA shield. Not sure why you would, but you can. Kotaku updates their “12 Best Games on PC” list. See first entry is “Battlefield 3”, close window. New FFXIV Benchmark is up, includes char creation play time. But what about Phase 4 Beta????
- Saints Row 3
- Torchlight 2
- Not Saints Row 2
Video will update here when we go live.
Don’t forget to check out the deals over at Green Man Gaming!
Watch us record episode 27 of Game Sammich LIVE at 6:30pm PST below. If you’d like to chat live with us while we record, head over here, or connect directly via irc to irc.mibbit.net, in the #GameSammich channel.
Bert moved, he’s currently waiting to unlock the internet achievement at the new place. Dan Gardner will be guesting again in his place. Kevin has Kid aggro tonight, Brad is playing with his “Ouya” furiously, and Errn downloaded the next level of lighting for her gaming area.
So….Chromecast hit the shelves and sold out in a couple days. Good luck with those back-orders people because they already axed the Netflix deal that came with it. Guess they didn’t expect the expected? Microsoft finally hops on the Indi-self-publishing wagon for the Xbone. World of Warcraft sub tanking finally hits a plateau (who cares), and Nvidia needs to get their poop in a group because their latest drivers are making people rage.
- Shadowrun Returns
- Payday 2
- Tomb Raider
- Starcraft 2
- Mass Effect 3
We’ll be giving away a Beta invite for Payday 2 during the live cast if you’re in chat. This will be a good one for you oldie moldie movie buffs.
Come CHAAAAAAT live for a better erkspurrriense.
I admit it: sometimes it feels like I’m living under a rock. I usually adopt the latest electronic trends fairly late, what with my waiting until 2012 to buy a smartphone and a gaming PC and still not having Xbox Live. Netflix was never on my radar because I’m not a big television or film guy, and I felt that most of what I wanted to watch was readily available online. And yet, Mitchell Hurwitz decided that Netflix was going to be the exclusive home of Arrested Development’s fourth season, so I knew I had to get it eventually.
I’ve been slowly exploring the service’s offerings and it appears to have a wealth of shows and movies that have been recommended to me over the years. Now that I actually have a high-quality means of watching them, I’m looking forward to broadening my horizons. I’ve always mostly assumed that TV is generally crap, but I’ve since realized that’s kind of unfair, and I’d like to at least give it a chance. But I’m going to need the help of people far more experienced than I to help guide me on this vision quest. I need to know which shows are worth watching.
Here are a few things I’m considering watching:
- Arrested Development (obviously)
- Community (Currently halfway through season 2. Really liking it so far.)
- The Office (UK) (Recommended to me by many people as far superior to the American version. I haven’t seen the American version, but Stephen Merchant, Ricky Gervais, and Martin Freeman are decent dudes, and the prospect of a live-action Dilbert comic seems funny).
- Twin Peaks (I know nothing about this show other than David Lynch made it and lots of hipsters think it’s really good.)
- Global Metal (Documentary on heavy metal, and sequel to Metal: A Headbanger’s Journey, which I really liked)
- Anvil: The Story of Anvil (spiritual sequel to This Is Spinal Tap, only it’s an actual documentary of a mediocre Canadian metal band…yeah, I like metal, and I’m sad there isn’t more stuff on it out there)
- Tenacious D in The Pick of Destiny (again, metal…I’m only watching this because Ronnie James Dio and Meat Loaf are in it)
- Sherlock (Just starting the second season…really enjoying it)
- House of Cards (I love characters who are willing to trample others to get what they want…also, Kevin Spacey)
- Spaced (watched this years ago, it was really raw and unpolished, but a good start for Pegg/Frost/Wright…want to watch it again in preparation for The World’s End)
- Archer (Has some of the cast of Arrested Development on it, and I guess it’s all the rage right now)
- Fawlty Towers (John Cleese is a boss, and I’ve heard this show is legendary…but does it still hold up?)
So, Geek Force Network…please help me! Tell me which of my picks are worth watching and which are a waste of time. Also, please feel free to suggest any other shows that I’ve missed. I’ve noticed from our Twitter conversations that our tastes in TV and movies are extremely varied, so please, try to force your opinions on me! I welcome it. Please enlighten this ignoramus!